Thursday, December 15, 2011

Television: Golden Globe Nominees Announced!

by Jack Garcia

The 69th Golden Globe Awards will air on January 15, 2012 on NBC and the nominees have been officially announced!  Of course everyone wants to know what Joaquin thinks about the nominees, so here we go:
  • For Best Picture - Drama, two of the nominations are movies I haven't seen which makes me sad.  War Horse hasn't come out yet, so I guess it's not my fault, but The Descendents has been playing for a couple of weeks now just not in a theater near me.  Someday I hope to travel to The Broadway Theater in Salt Lake City to see it.  The other nominees I have seen and I love, including The Help, Moneyball, The Ides of March and my very favorite Hugo.  Fingers crossed for Hugo!
  • For Best Picture - Comedy or Musical, there are once again two nominations that I haven't seen, also because they aren't in the Provo/Orem area.  These movies are My Life with Marilyn and The Artist, both of which are on my Most Anticipated Movies page.  Hopefully I can see all the nominees before the winners are chosen!  The other comedy nominees include three of my favorite films this year: 50/50, Midnight in Paris and Bridesmaids!
  • For Best Animated Feature Film, pretty much every animated movie this year is nominated except for Kung Fu Panda 2 or Rio, which I actually liked more than Cars 2 or Puss in Boots which did get nominated.  The other three nominations I'm more impressed with:  Arthur Christmas, Rango and The Adventures of TintinTintin hasn't been released yet so I haven't seen it, but my current favorite for the win is Rango.  I loved that movie!
  • I don't really watch drama series on television, so I don't know anything about those nominations!  I do have a friend that will be really excited to know American Horror Story was nominated though... Yes, Wes, I mean you.  But for Best Television Series - Comedy, my three favorite shows are all nominees:  Glee, Modern Family and New Girl.  This is New Girl's first season and I'm really excited to see it on the list!  The other two nominees, Enlightened and Episodes, I've never seen so I don't know what to say about them.
  • As far as actors and actresses go, these are my favorites in their various categories:  Viola Davis for The Help, Leonardo DiCaprio for J. Edgar, Brad Pitt for Moneyball, Kristen Wiig for Bridesmaids, Joseph Gordon-Levitt for 50/50, Zooey Deschanel for New Girl, Sofia Vergara for Modern Family and Eric Stonestreet for Modern Family.
Can't wait for the Golden Globes!

No comments: