Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Movie Reviews: The Adventures of a Ghost Girl with a Chipmunk Tattoo

by Jack Garcia

I apologize for going so long without a movie review.  Christmas and New Year's always get a bit hectic and to top it off my laptop got a virus and I eventually had to buy a replacement.  That being said, I am back online and ready to fill you all in on the terrific (and one not-so-terrific) movies I've seen this holiday season... two of them with Daniel Craig.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo ADMIRABLE

I would have given this movie an "AWESOME!" had it not been for the fact that I've already seen the original Swedish film and couldn't help but compare this new American version to it.  Rooney Mara is the tattooed bad-ass Lisbeth who joins up with Mikael (Daniel Craig) to find a killer of women while dealing with some of her own issues.  The movie looks good, is well-acted and pitch-perfect in many ways; what bothered me is that it's almost identical to the Swedish film.  Too identical if you ask me because it sometimes felt like a lesser copy.  If you've never seen the original film and aren't offended by violent rape scenes, I recommend it.

The Adventures of Tintin AWESOME!

Steven Spielberg directs this motion-capture animated movie based on the classic European comic series by cartoonist Herge.  Tintin (Jamie Bell) is a young reporter who finds himself in the middle of a mystery involving a model ship, a villain named Sakharine (Daniel Craig) and a drunken sea captain named Haddock (Andy Serkis).  Haddock, Tintin and his dog Snowy embark on an exciting adventure in the style of Indiana Jones and I loved every minute of it.  I felt that the movie was quick-paced, humorous, visually impeccable and the characterizations were believable and interesting, especially Captain Haddock.

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol AWESOME!

I'm surprised at how much I enjoyed Ghost Protocol since "action movies" aren't really my thing and even less so when it's the fourth in a series.  However, I thought this movie was highly entertaining and a lot of fun to watch so I'm giving it two thumbs up!  Tom Cruise is back again as Ethan Hunt and this time the IMF is shut down and he and his crew (including Jeremy Renner, Simon Pegg and Paula Patton) must work against orders to stop a man from destroying the world in a nuclear war.  The premise may be routine for this genre, but the gadgets are fun and the action is hair-raising.  I literally held my breath as he climbed up that building...

Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked AWFUL

I'm not going to lie, I kinda have a soft spot for the first Alvin and the Chipmunks in 2007.  It was cheesy but cute.  But this one?  Cheesy and dumb.  That's a big difference.  Here Alvin (Justin Long) and the other chipmunks and chipettes (Matthew Gray Gubler, Jesse McCartney, Amy Poehler, Anna Faris and Christina Applegate) are on a cruise ship with their "dad" Dave (Jason Lee) when they are accidentally shipwrecked on a deserted island.  Dave and their former manager Ian (David Cross), dressed in a bird suit the whole movie, are looking for them and the poor little chipmunks learn a thing or two about responsibility while trying to survive in the wild.  I'm sure I don't need to tell you that the writing is utter crap... but in case I do, the writing is utter crap.  And they only sing snippets of songs!

No comments: