Wednesday, January 25, 2012

The Nominations for the 84th Academy Awards

by Jack Garcia

Yesterday the nominations were announced for the 84th Academy Awards and I was very excited to see them!  Well, not as excited as some though.  My friend Michelle actually woke up early enough to watch the nominations air live on ABC.  Now that's commitment.  Me on the other hand?  Let's just say I like my sleep more than I like the Oscars!

Anyway, I thought I'd share my feelings on a few of the nominations.
  • First off, I am stunned Ryan Gosling wasn't nominated for his terrific role in Drive.  Or even in The Ides of March.  He's done some outstanding work this past year and he really deserves at least a nomination!!  In the same vein, I would have liked to see Leonardo DiCaprio nominated too.
  • Last year there were ten nominees for Best Picture, and I thought it was interesting there are only nine nominees this year.  Why the "empty" slot?  Being a Harry Potter lover I should probably join the masses of fans expressing outrage that Deathly Hallows Part 2 wasn't the tenth nominee... but I honestly don't think it should be.  Go ahead, use a forbidden curse on me.  I'm a terrible fan.  However, I would be down for putting Bridesmaids up there.  Just for fun.
  • I'm surprised that Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close is nominated for Best Picture, considering it is not getting very good reviews by film critics.
  • I am very VERY happy that Hugo has a whopping 11 nominations, which is the most this year of any picture.  That movie is so so so so good!
  • I really want Melissa McCarthy to win over Octavia Spencer.
  • I thought it was interesting that The Adventures of Tintin won the Golden Globe but isn't even nominated for the Oscar.  Maybe Rango will win the Oscar!  That would make my day.
  • Jessica Chastain is great in The Help, but she's even better in The Tree of Life.  At least The Tree of Life was nominated for Best Picture and not forgotten like at the Golden Globes.
  • I can't believe "Real in Rio" and "Man or Muppet" are the only two nominees for Original Song.  This must have been a bad year for music in the movies...
  • Transformers should not be nominated for anything ever under any circumstances. 

No comments: